Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sukhothai Thailand

Yet again having no arranged placed to stay worked out great. Sometimes you have to be on guard when you get off the bus because people will swarm you with promises of the best guesthouse in all of Thailand and it is far from it, but I took my chances on the first guy. It felt more like a bungalow on the beach....without the beach.

Personal porches and banana hammocks (he he)....but really hammocks made of woven banana leaves.

My crib.

Main strip in Sukhothai.


This goes out to all you people born in the year of the Rooster: '33, '45, '57, '69, '81, '93, and '05.

Sunsets are peaceful and powerful.


My roommate: he can stay as long as he likes as long as he eats mosquitoes and saves me 15% on my car insurance.


I don't think they follow the catch and release program here.


My first stop was Wat Mahathat in the old city. These ruins are of the capital of Thailand from 1238 to 1438 before it moved to Ayuttaya.


He does look like a content guy doesn't he?
Fun fact: Buddha's last name was Guatama.


Lotus


North side of Wat Mahathat.


The old city was turned into a very beautiful and relaxing park.


What a deal. 24 mini bananas for 50 cents.


The road less travelled to the outskirts of town.


Boyscouts reciting their pledge while raising the flag.


Last stop of the day was Wat Sa Si.
I enjoyed my last night in Sukhothai by treating myself to spicy papaya salad, Pad Thai, and chocolate ice cream for a bank breaking $1.50. Oh yeah and then an hour and a half message for $5. That might have to become a habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment