Friday, January 29, 2010

Chiang Mai Thailand

After 5 hour bus ride north of Sukhothai I landed in Chiang Mai. I Hopped on a songthaew, which is like a tuk tuk only bigger, and then wondered around for a bit until I settled on a decent guest house for $6 a night.
There are a lot of temples here which means you see monks quite frequently.

These artists in the night market are amazing. I don't know if the picture does it justice, but I couldn't tell some of them were drawings even standing inches away.


A small part of the night market.


Seeing that Chiang Mai is surrounded by mountains, I rented this hog for $3 for the day and headed for the hills.



First scenic view of Chiang Mai.




That's pure intimidation.


The higher up I went the smaller the road got.


Looking west from the top of Doi Suthep.


A small local Hmong village below.


I came across this awesome coffee shop and enjoyed the serenity for a while.


Looking down on Chiang Mai from another local Hmong village.


This little fella was in need of some company.


On the way back I had a bit of a mishap when I hit some loose gravel around a turn and did a few somersaults down the road. My worst fear was having to pay for the scooter, but the damage wasn't that bad. A broken mirror and a bent foot peg was about it. As for me......



Just a bit road rash. Don't worry parents I'll be fine.


After picking some gravel out of my hands and cleaning myself up I found a local shop that sold me a brand new mirror for $1 and they bent my peg back....Good as new!


Went back to the hills for some relaxation.


Nothing a waterfall and a Leo won't fix.


Out with some friends I met from Holland and Australia.


My last day was spent at this reservoir outside of town.


View from my tee pee.




Before I left town I went to the hospital to pick up some Malaria pills....let me restate that, I picked up some Malaria prevention pills for my travels through Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
Next stop Chiang Khong, where I cross into Laos.

1 comment:

  1. abell, i'm so jealous! keep up the adventure and great blog posts

    ReplyDelete