Tuesday, February 23, 2010

4000 Islands Laos

4000 Islands is located at the southern tip of Laos where the Mekong is split by quite literally 4000 little islands.


Taking the boat out to the island of Don Dhet.


I think the relaxing ora of the islands was starting to sink in.


After landing on Don Dhet I was waiting to meet up with Hunter and this poor little fella came up looking for company. It broke my heart to see he had scratched nearly all his hair off from an itch that clearly wouldn't go away. No such thing as ASPCA out here.


I feel like they are wild animals, but they seem to be as docile as the cows.


My paradise for next three days.


On the hunt for a bungalow.


Doing my laundry.....When in Laos.

A canoe catamaran for transporting motor bikes.


Where I spent most of my time during the mid day heat.


I think this was a Lemur. It kept turning around to bite the little girl playing with its tail. Clearly the bite didn't hurt because the girl just laughed when it bit her.


We swam out to this little deserted island for the sunset and I officially made it part of Colorado.


The kids out here are much further advanced in the real world than in the states. This 10 yr old was driving the boat with one hand while playing the harmonica with the other.


Three little girls taking a sunset boat ride.
He looks harmless, but he snatched my water bottle from my hands and also peeled all the stickers off my rental bike......cheeky monkey.


We rented bikes and rode across a bridge to the island of Don Khon and got a good look at Somphamit Falls. I would love to see this during the wet season with high water.

Look, Laos has a bridge to nowhere also! I wonder how much it cost the taxpayers?


A bit further down river we found a nice swim hole. The temp of the water is like bath water.


On the bridge back to Don Dhet.


I told him we already paid the bill and the food was great, but he still felt it was necessary to unload rubber pellets on me.


After three very relaxing days at 4000 islands I said my goodbyes to Hunter as he headed back to Bangkok. I headed to the Cambodian border with some uncertainty about getting my bike through.

No comments:

Post a Comment