Monday, February 22, 2010

Pakse Laos and Bolaven Plateau

After a brief stay in Vientiane to buy a camera and new helmet, I jumped on my bike and started the long 380 mile journey south to Pakse.

This was the morning of my birthday!

One that will probably stick out more than others.


I quickly found out that riding in the cool mornings is well worth the early wake up call.


The ever-growing Mekong river.


It might just look like a cloud, but it actually seemed more like an angel that was battling the sun for a minute while I tried to regain my motivation to ride on in the heat.


After a long patch of arid countryside this rice patty was a pleasant change in scenery.


I was expecting him to hit me up like everyone else and ask for a toll fee.


After way too long of a ride. I met up with Hunter and we went out for my birthday. It seems the planets aligned and my birthday also fell on the Chinese New year, Vietnamese New Year, and another holiday that must only be celebrated out here called Valentine's Day. Needless to say there was plenty of people to party with. These guys were the first of many people that invited us over to try out their English and cheers to the festivities.


The second group invited us to the disco club. Naturally we jumped on the back of a their scooters to get there. My face describes the way he drove to the club...crazy.


Hunter sitting shotgun.


Friendly group #3 at the club.

We shared the same birthday and thankfully not the same pinkie fingernail. That is one weird trend out here that I will never understand.


Closing time and new friends giving us a ride home. Great night!.....


At least I thought my night was over. These guys roped me in for some whiskey I definitely did not need. I blame them for the hangover.

The next two days were spent riding around the beautiful Bolaven Plateau. The kids out here can sniff me out from a mile away and are all more than happy to wave with big smiles as I ride by.... love it.

From pavement to dirt. I like where this is going.


The look on my face 90% of the time.


Pointing me in the right direction.


The first of many amazing waterfalls. Bear with me for the upcoming over load of waterfall pictures.




I found a path to the top of the falls.




Looking out from the top of the waterfall.





One of the many colorful species of butterflies.....that would sit still long enough for me to take a picture.



Tat Katamtok Waterfall.
Located on the Ho Chi Min Trail, it is the largest waterfall in the Bolaven Plateau at 135 meters.


During a rest stop I looked across the road and was surprised to see this unique use for a dud.
The Bolaven Plateau was considered strategically vital to both the Americans and North Vietnamese, meaning it was one of the most heavily bombed areas during the war. Unfortunately, this also means that there are a large amount of UXO (unexploded ordnance) still lying around. *Note to self- Stay on well travelled paths.

The gate keeper.
This friendly guy noticed my interest in his gate and kept repeating the words American and Nixon to me, but in a none threatening way. He then invited me into his house for tea, where we somehow manged to have a 30 minute conversation about.....well, I don't think either of us knew what the other was trying to say.


Every time I ride through a town I feel like the kids are either walking to or from school.


One of the funniest things I have seen. A baby in a scooter seat.
I just thought they stuck them between there legs or had them hang on from the back.


Tad Yuang Waterfall




My favorite- Tad Fane Waterfall.
This daring little kid was trying to show me up by basically hanging over the cliff. Hats off to him.



River sunset back in Pakse.

No comments:

Post a Comment