Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bangkok Thailand

So I am off to Southeast Asia! More by force than by choice (visa expired), but you won't see me complaining. First stop, Bangkok Thailand where approximately 15 million people live.


Delayed in Milan due to fog and ice.


Six hours after leaving Milan I land for a quick layover in Dubai. Seen here is the haze covered downtown with the not only the worlds tallest building, but also the worlds tallest structure (Burj Khalifa) piercing the sky at 2,720 ft (almost twice as high as the Empire State Building). I'm guessing this might be a contributor to their present bankruptcy situation.


Dubai Airport


My entertainment on their fourth lap around walkway while I wait for my connection.


Another six hour flight got me to Bangkok Airport where my couchsurfing host, Sup, generously picked me up.


Sup's guestroom was more than I expected, complete with my own bathroom.


My first day in Bangkok Sup personally guided me to some very interesting sites. Here we are heading up river to the Grand Palace. The boat taxi's are long wooden boats with a huge diesel engine strapped to the rear and an axle with a propeller on the end.


The outside of the Grand Palace.
This use to be the residence of the King but I think he got fed up with the tourist knocking on his door looking for the bathroom so he moved to a nearby palace.


The Emerald Buddha (actually made of jade) was taken from the Laos city of Vientiane when King Rama I conquered the city 1778.


People sprinkle holy water on themselves with Lotus' for good luck.
The Phra Si Ratana Chedi houses a piece of Buddha's breastbone.


It is common to see demons guarding temple doors.


I know I know it's cheesy, but if it makes you feel any better I think the little girl to the right is starting to give me the middle finger. The green pants are for entering the temple because I had shorts on.


It is customary to buy gold flakes and place them on Buddha for good luck.

Paintings on the outer walls of the palace depict the ancient Hindu stories.


Tedious work.


So I can't imagine what this guard must be thinking when tourist take pictures next to him all day. I wonder if he has ever stuck his bayonet into anyone.


When King Rama V came back from his tours in Europe in the late 1800's he was inspired by the architecture and commissioned the Grand Palace.


The Thai people hold King Rama V (1853-1910) in the highest respect due to his efforts to abolish slavery and modernize Thailand with the rest of the world.




The reclining Buddha otherwise known as the chillaxin' Buddha.


Here you chillax by putting coins into all 100 pots for good luck.


On a crazy Tuk Tuk to our next stop.


Now a museum, this was the house for the King Rama V. It has 72 rooms and was built using no nails and only wooden pegs, a lot of work for the King to only live here for 5 years.

A museum where the gifts to the King and Queen are showcased. Most gifts are detailed gold thrones or ships encrusted with every kind of jewel you can think of. Most pieces took more than 150 artist over 2 years to make.


Again, I couldn't go in with shorts so I had do buy this fashionable get up.


Backpackers street.
A week earlier there were elephants walking down this road taking donations for relief efforts in Haiti.


A pic before I went in and beat up on all these Muay Thai boxers American style.


Back on the river.


After a long day off sightseeing our stress levels were overflowing so we went for a traditional hour long Thai message for $12.


Although it felt like the lady was trying WWF moves in order to snap every joint I had, after is was done I was very relaxed, and yes it was just a message.


Out at a local micro brewery for some good food and entertainment.


Here is some traditional Thai music....it's like nothing I have heard before.

Chatuchak Weekend Market is said to be the biggest in Asia.


Street performers in the market.


When it rains put a bag on your head.


A view of the roofs of the market.


After the market I headed to Lumphini Park in downtown and was surprised to find these monsters.


Little did I know I was about to witness a full on brawl between two big Monitor Lizards.




The dip move.

The lady of interest keeping a close watch.




Taking the fight to the water. The fight lasted about 15 minutes ending by way of a bite to the head and then a long swim for the loser. It kind of reminds me of my brothers and I in the swimming pool.

They were about 5 feet long and some as fat as volleyballs.


This one kept approaching me on my bench...or maybe his bench.


Panoramic of the park.


Chasing a smaller lizard up the tree in hopes of a snack.


Dusk areobics.


Scooter....Scooter. Another form of taxi in the city where you just jump on and hang on.


The chaos.


I don't get it???


All you can eat sushi before the movie.


Dances with Wolves...I mean Avatar 3-D!!!
Next stop, Ayutthaya.

1 comment:

  1. You always get the best animal pics. If it's not dogs then it's 5 foot brawling monsters. Hope you're having a great time. Emily and I entertained ourselves today at the Super COOP. She's in good hands :)
    Beth

    ReplyDelete